A very busy and exhausting day for us!
This morning we split into 3 groups – one running final setup and test on our GX9 helis, another doing the same for our quadplanes. The third team travelled around likely areas we’ll be flying in the UAV Challenge, checking 3G/4G coverage and confirming our our terrain dataset heights.
Interestingly, Optus coverage is far better than Telstra’s out in the flight area.
Unfortunately, our backup quadplane had a heavy landing during a practice flight. It wasn’t heavily damaged, but is unable to be repaired to a flyable state until we get back to Canberra.
After lunch, we spent some time running some simulated flights – checking our ground station network and comms, as well as our preflight procedures.
We ran into difficulties with the ground station network box. The Raspberry Pi running the Telstra 4G dongle kept browning out and crashing. It took ~5 hours until we had a working solution of using a borrowed USB power bank to power the Pi. We still don’t completely understand why the Telstra dongle was drawing large enough amounts of power to produce a ~0.7V drop in power to the Pi. But we found a solution, which given the time pressures is good enough.
Early night for us. And an early start of 7:30am tomorrow.
For those wanting to follow the UAV Challenge, there are several ways to follow the action this week:
UAV Challenge Main Facebook Page: http://bit.ly/2cJLGdc
UAV Challenge Live Facebook Page: http://bit.ly/2daocvY (frequent
posts during the event)
After a long day of driving, we made it to Dalby in the late afternoon.
Darrell, Paul, Felix, Greg, Matt and myself went straight to the motel to sort out rooms and grab some supplies for breakfast, whilst everyone else was the the Dalby Model Aircraft Club (DMAC) surveying the facilities until dark. It was very windy at DMAC – hopefully not a sign a things to come. The team spent their time there planning the takeoff and landing sequences, given the wind and locations of nearby buildings and the DMAC runway.
We met up with the UNSW (Canberra) team along the way to Dalby and they joined our convoy for part of the way (until a navigation error took them down a different road for a few hours).
We had a few minor navigation issues of our own, which reinforced the lesson of communicating well within the team – with 13 people, we do have to take care to ensure everyone is aware of the current and near-future plans.
Tomorrow’s plan is to test all the things! Primarily check all our equipment still works, tune the IC engines (we’re at a different altitude than Canberra – this affects the engine tuning), check 3G/4G coverage for our comms system and run through many more SITL testing.
With just 1 week until we start traveling to Dalby for the UAV Challenge, the last couple of weeks have been spent performing final tests and fixes to our equipment. This has included all-up tests that simulate an actual UAV Challenge scenario, finalising our checklists and mission plans, and sorting out travel to Dalby.
Our all-up test from the perspective of Joe – watching the UAV land at the remote location. The blood sample is then loaded onto the UAV:
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFjTQRtvzno?rel=0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
We have also been finalising our backup UAV’s (1x quadplane and 1x helicopter) and stocking up on spare parts and consumables we’ll need for our time at the UAV Challenge.
Now that the Deliverable 3 results have been sent out (https://uavchallenge.org/2016/08/17/deliverable-3-decisions-for-medical-express-2016/), CanberraUAV are happy to announce that we have passed the Deliverable 3 point and are one of the 8-11 finalists in the 2016 UAV Challenge.
Over the next 5 weeks we will focus on finishing off our ground station and practicing the team roles in simulated UAV Challenge scenarios. This will include testing the ground station network, laptops and software; in addition to safely recovering from in-flight emergencies and issues – such as communications links outages.
Now that we’ve submitted our Deliverable 3 report, we are able to get back to doing to final fit-out of our airframes and performing all-up testing of both UAV’s and the ground station. Below are a few photos of our current airframes ready to go.
Last weekend we had the maiden flight of our 2nd (yellow) Quadplane. It went very smoothly, with a small amount of minor issues to be fixed up. The next job is to finish fitting out the radio and electronics systems.
The plans now is to have the yellow Quadplane as one of our competition airframes, with the red-and-white airframe as a backup.
Last weekend we were able to start testing our camera and imaging system. This is largely unchanged from the 2014 UAV Challenge (both hardware and software).
From the GX9 helicopter:
From the Quadporter:
The GX9’s camera worked really well, but the Quadporter needs more work (it’s likely the lens is the culprit).